Thursday, May 14, 2009

There's cute, and there's cute, and then there's this.

I've mentioned that lately I've been brushing up on my experience with survival horror games, a quest that's taken me through quite the range of materials. The game I've been considering lately is an oldie: Capcom's Sweet Home, released in 1989 for the Famicom.

It's a gem in its own right, combining early RPG elements with some surprisingly forward-reaching features like permanent death, and I'd like to discuss it in more detail. But right now I'd like to share something completely unrelated, which I stumbled upon while scouring the internets for anything on Sweet Home.

Dear readers, I give you Chi's Sweet Home.



I know, right? The Western world, with its Lolwhatevers and its cute overloads, has been lulled into a false sense of cute superiority. Somewhere in its all-encompassing quest to be adorable, Japan has cracked the "Cute Code." It turns out that the only thing more precious than a little kitty playing, eating and sleeping is a little kitty that SINGS ABOUT IT.

In the spirit of the riddle that asks "how do you kill that which has no life?," we arrive at another ontological impasse: How can you 'out-cute' a culture that even has a cuter way of saying 'cute?'

I sure as heck don't know. But I do know that for those interested in the further misadventures of a certain chibi chibi neko-tan, more episodes can be viewed here.

Be warned: I'm pretty sure too much of this stuff can give you the diabeetus.


- Rook

3 comments:

  1. i've been following this series since for awhile, and found that the manga are just as enjoyable (minus the awesome self-saccharine opening song).

    http://www.onemanga.com/Chiis_Sweet_Home/

    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Let me be said that when it comes to kitties frolicking, more is ALWAYS BETTER.

    The one thing that confuses me is why the comic appears in a seinen manga... I would have pegged it as something more suited to shojo or josei.

    Not that I'm complaining, because, kitties, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Episode 99:

    Chii vs. Greyhound bus :(

    ReplyDelete